The ESP based DIY preamp, update 1.


A quick update on the ESP based preamp. This weekend I took the time to make a "Faraday cage" and correct some minor errors. The balance control for instance was wired backwards. I added and rerouted some ground connections and extended some internal cables.

I made the Faraday cage out of some 0.8 mm aluminum sheet metal. I created an inner box for all signal carrying boards. I made holes in the bottom for board standoffs and cooling. Holes in the sides are for connecting cables.


Next step was to make a lid. I made it out of 0.8 mm perforated aluminum sheet. This is what it looks like mounted (the lid snaps in place).


And this is what it looks like mounted inside of the wooden cabinet.


It was a bit fidgety to get everything to fit, but I think it turned out quite well. It is easy to pop the lid off for any maintenance work on the boards inside.

Was it worth it? I really don't know. The problem was not big to start with and it was a lot of work. But it is dead silent now even on zero attenuation so maybe it was actually worth it after all...