Some Kind of WAW Part 5.


Time for a new update on this build and I will start with some information about the subwoofers I have scavenged for parts, the Argon Sub 840. I buy them used fairly cheap and I have already written about them in a previous post. It is a sealed design with an 8 inch long throw element and they look like this.
I mainly buy them for the plate amp because a whole subwoofer is like half the price of a similar plate amp new. The things I like about these plate amps are both line level and speaker level inputs and no high-pass filters on the speaker level outputs. The 50 to 150 Hz crossover range and the fact that the auto sensing power on/off works reliably.


I also like the fact that there are no surface mount components making it quite easy to repair them if needed. They are also full of useful parts (like the 29.5-0-29.5V transformer, the aluminum heat sink and the speaker connectors etc.) if you ever decide to scrap them and scavenge them for parts.


This is a picture of the plate amp mounted in the lower back piece of the speaker. It makes it easy to replace it with something else if ever needed.


Here can be seen how the speaker level input and output is actually just bridged so no high-pass filter. This is a requirement when I pair the subwoofer with a full range element like the W5-2143.


I will not use the speaker output connectors for the W5-2143. I will instead route cables from the plate amp internally up into the upper chamber. This is how I attached these cables to the plate amp with the option to reverse this mod if ever needed. The nuts was secured in place with a glue gun.


I painted the enclosures a semi flat white on top of the spray filler.


And this is the pair mounted and ready for some initial measurements.


The next post will be about the theory behind this kind of WAW and the measurement results...