Hot Rodding a Harman/Kardon T20 Part 3.



A quick update on this build. I grew a bit impatient and started to buff the plinth. Paint was still a bit too soft but it turned out pretty OK after some light wet sanding with 2000 grit, Farecla G3 and Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 (in that order).


Next step was to put it back together. I took the opportunity to touch up some of the solder joints, clean pots and switches and to lubricate some of the mechanics. But almost everything is in really good condition. The platter easily spins on its own for more than two minutes so I didn't bother taking the center spindle assembly apart. No play in the tonearm and it looked great and complete so I didn't mess with it either. The rest came together fairly easy and the auto off and tonearm retraction worked like a charm after a bit of tweaking.

I now have to wait for a new belt and headshell that is on its way from Germany. I cant wait to hear how it sounds? This is what it looks like right now.




It rides a bit high on its squash feet and it will probably be a bit matchy-matchy with the rest of my orange gear. I think it would look even greater covered in some exotic veneer and I have to come back to the original coils springs and make some new feet out of them...